It’s that time of year! The fresh air is breezing through the open windows. The rain is feeding your lawn and soil. The sun is shining longer throughout the day. Your spring cleaning is probably done and you’ve had some time to enjoy the warmer weather. Now it’s time to prepare your home for the impending summer heat! Check out Turnkey Homes complete summer home maintenance projects checklist.
- Wash your deck or porch. Regular sweeping will keep dust and debris from building up, but a strong wash with a soapy cleaner will remove anything embedded. Use a pressure washer for more aggressive cleaning. If the wood is absorbing water, reseal it. While cleaning, inspect boards for any rotting or damage and replace them as needed.
- Inspect your roof and foundation. Repair any holes, leaks in faucets, replace missing or damaged shingles, visually inspect your soffit and fascia. Clear clutter and debris from gutters and downspouts. Make sure the ground around your home is graded away from the foundation.
- Landscape. Layering mulch adds curb appeal to your home, but it also has a functional purpose. Mulch nourishes soil, helping it retain moisture under the hot sun. Landscaping also helps protect your home from pests. Trim tree branches back at least 8 feet from your roof, fill holes and clean up yard debris.
- Tend to Concrete. Pressure wash your sidewalk and driveway to remove cold month dirt and stains. Repair holes or cracks in the cement before they turn into potholes. Seal your driveway every other summer to protect the surface from sun exposure.
- Service your air conditioning unit. Regular tune-ups increase the system’s efficiency and decrease energy costs. Be sure to change the air filter.
- Clean and redirect ceiling fans. Fans should rotate counterclockwise in the summer to push air down, keeping your home cool. Wipe ceiling blade and balance your fan as needed.
- Replace batteries in smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. Hire a professional or self-clean vents and dryer exhaust ducts to prevent fires.
- Give your bathroom a deep cleaning. Remove debris from your drains and remove and clean the showerheads. Replace them as needed. Remove bathroom vent covers and thoroughly clean.
- Hire a chimney sweep. Cleaning the chimney in summer will have you ready to build your first fire in the fall. Additionally, the demand for this service is low in warmer months. This will save you money and make scheduling easy.
- Inspect the basement and attic for leaks, mold, and rodents. Pests seek the warmth of your home in cooler months. If they were there, you will find their nest or droppings.
- Update windows and doors. Check that they are sealed properly and apply caulk as needed. Replace loose hinges and locks. Clean your windows and replace damaged screens.
Follow these steps now so by the time it really heats up you can sit back, relax and enjoy the summer! If you find yourself in need of a new deck or remodel, contact us at Turnkey Homes, LLC.